Paul Blanc, MD
Dr. Paul D. Blanc MD MSPH is Professor of Medicine and holds the Endowed Chair in Occupational and Environmental Medicine at the University of California San Francisco, where he has been on faculty since 1988. He received his BA from Goddard College (Plainfield, Vermont), where he first became interested in health and the environment, later training at the Harvard School of Public Health (in industrial hygiene), the Albert Einstein School of Medicine, and Cook County Hospital (in a joint Occupational Medicine and Internal Medicine Residency). He was a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar at UCSF from 1985-7 and a Fulbright Senior Research Scholar at the Ben Gurion University of the Negev in 1987-8. He has been a resident scholar at the Rockefeller Bellagio Center (Bellagio, Italy) and the American Academy in Rome. In 2011, he was elected as a fellow of the Collegium Ramazzini, an international honorific society of occupational health leaders. He has authored numerous scholarly publications in his field. He also is the author of two books: How Everyday Products Make People Sick (University of California Press, 2009) and Fake Silk: The Lethal History of Viscose Rayon (Yale University Press, 2016).
2018 - Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Champion Training, University of California
Post-Doc Fellow/Scholar, 1986 - Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
M.D., 1982 - Medicine, Albert Einstein School of Medicine
MSPH, 1977 - Industrial Hygiene, Harvard School of Public Health
BA, 1974 - Liberal Arts, Goddard College
- Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA): An Occupational Case Report.
- Respiratory Health after Military Service in Southwest Asia and Afghanistan. An Official American Thoracic Society Workshop Report.
- Reply to: Occupational Burden in Chronic Respiratory Disease: Call for Recognition, Training and Data Capture.
- The Occupational Burden of Nonmalignant Respiratory Diseases. An Official American Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society Statement.
- Gene signatures common to allograft rejection are associated with lymphocytic bronchitis.
- Frailty trajectories in adult lung transplantation: A cohort study.
- Prevalence of Arthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis in Coal Mining Counties of the U.S.
- Occupational exposures and incidence of chronic bronchitis and related symptoms over two decades: the European Community Respiratory Health Survey.
- Occupational Exposures Influence CT Imaging Characteristics in the SPIROMICS Cohort.
- Pulmonary toxicity associated with pomalidomide.
- Airflow limitation classified with the fixed ratio or the lower limit of normal and cause-specific mortality - A prospective study.
- Off the Courts: Occupational "Tennis Leg".
- Notes from the Field: Toxic Leukoencephalopathy Associated with Tianeptine Misuse - California, 2017.
- Exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke and respiratory symptoms in non-smoking adults: cross-sectional data from the general population of Telemark, Norway.
- Psychosocial work factors in new or recurrent injuries among hospital workers: a prospective study.
- Annual average ambient particulate matter exposure estimates, measured home particulate matter, and hair nicotine are associated with respiratory outcomes in adults with asthma.
- Higher environmental relative moldiness index values measured in homes of adults with asthma, rhinitis, or both conditions.
- Mediators of the socioeconomic gradient in outcomes of adult asthma and rhinitis.
- Chest wall shrapnel-induced beryllium-sensitization and associated pulmonary disease.
- The role of physical inactivity in increasing disability among older adults with obstructive airway disease.
- Evaluating quality of life in patients with asthma and rhinitis: English adaptation of the rhinasthma questionnaire.
- An integrated model of environmental factors in adult asthma lung function and disease severity: a cross-sectional study.
- Longer term exposure to secondhand smoke and health outcomes in COPD: impact of urine 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanol.
- Further exploration of the links between occupational exposure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Exposure to traffic: lung function and health status in adults with asthma.
- Diagnosis and management of work-related asthma: American College Of Chest Physicians Consensus Statement.
- Socioeconomic gradients in tiotropium use among adults with COPD.
- Directly measured secondhand smoke exposure and COPD health outcomes.
- Work life of persons with asthma, rhinitis, and COPD: a study using a national, population-based sample.
- Functioning and psychological status among individuals with COPD.
- Exposure to vapors, gas, dust, or fumes: assessment by a single survey item compared to a detailed exposure battery and a job exposure matrix.
- Development and validation of a survey-based COPD severity score.
- Lifetime environmental tobacco smoke exposure and the risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Impact of the home indoor environment on adult asthma and rhinitis.
- Elevated liver enzymes in asymptomatic patients.
- Herbal tea asthma.